My name is Cynthia and I love interior design, architecture, antiques, all things vintage, all things British (a tried and true Anglophile), a love of things that are time worn and hold secrets of days gone by. I love animals and try to respect their place in our world. I enjoying talking about the most beautiful places in the world, some exotic, some in our own neck of the woods. I love family and friends, music and movies. And most importantly, I love talking about these things with a daily dose of humor because I love to laugh and we all deserve to. So come on...let's go for a stroll.

AND PLEASE CLICK ON THE ENTRY AND LEAVE ME A COMMENT - I can't talk to you if I don't know you were here, dearest dahling...

I'M A BREAST CANCER SURVIVOR !!


Friday, November 26, 2010

A Passion for Maxfield Parrish

Contentment by Maxfield Parrish
I am certainly not alone in my love of Maxfield Parrish's work, nor do I claim to be an expert.  I still have so much to learn about this most amazing artist.  While I have collected a number of books on his works, and have some decent reproductions, vintage and antique versions of his work are still commanding good prices in today's market.  I remember, even as a little girl, being enchanted by his capture of light, thinking that Daybreak, his most famous painting, was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen, and that somewhere young women really were that beautiful and lived in such places.  What is it about Parrish's paintings that draw us into them, as if we are sitting beside the beautiful men, women and other characters depicted so fantastically?  For me, it is because his paintings are the ultimate in romantic fantasy...the colors, the landscapes and the way that his dreamy depictions make us believe that urns can easily balance on the side of cliffs, that women can wade through rapids in flowing dresses, or gaze out over canyons from atop the clouds, and that young men with long locks really do ride on rope swings in the sky.  His techniques are legendary in the art world...how he would often photograph himself and his daughter, her friend, Kitty Owens, or his mistress Sue (his wife and he were estranged for years before her death and his mistress lived with him until his own death at 95 in the house he lived in for most or all of his life in New Hampshire).  He was a master of glazes and colors, so much so that the color "Parrish Blue" was named for him.  It is said that, at the height of his popularity, one in four American homes featured a Maxfield Parrish, whether it was an illustrated children's book, a print or one of the hugely popular advertising calendars that featured his work.  While I was in Florida last week, I missed out on a vintage Parrish print at auction, in the original frame, being outbid by a snowbird (that's what Southerners call the folks who come down from the North to the South every winter) seated in the back, who obviously had deeper pockets than me.  So for now, I will have to be happy with the books I have collected.  I hope you enjoy this post as much as I have enjoyed perusing these paintings all these years, while dreaming that I am one of those beautiful women, leaning against a wall outside a magnificent villa, next to an amazing waterfall, without a care in the world.

I encourage everyone to click on each image in order to appreciate the amazing detail and realism in these wonderful works.
Afterglow

Aircastles

Arizona

Beanstalk

Daybreak, Parrish's most famous and successful painting.  His daughter and
 her friend, Kitty, are depicted in the painting


Dinky Bird

Djer-Kiss - Advertising Print

Dream Castle in the Sky

Dream Garden

Dusk

Early Autumn White Burch

Ecstasy

Enchanted Prince


Fountain of Pirene

The Garden of Allah

Getting Away from It All

Hilltop

Hunt Farm

Lute Players

Maxfield Parrish

The Milkmaid

Morning

New Moon

The Waterfall, my personal favorite

Peaceful Night

Reveries

Road to the Sky

Solitude

Stars

Sunrise

Winter Twilight

The Glen

The Old Glen Mill

No comments:

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...